Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What Would You Do?

Monday the 15th was our first day of classes. Every first day, I review the syllabus and the textbook and give the students an assignment. I did the same with my methods students. They're the seniors who are taking the class to learn methods of teaching English prior to student teaching. After the first class, I got an e-mail from one of my students who said she had withdrawn from all her classes due to personal reasons.

Often, when students withdraw, they just stop coming, and then at the end of the semester, they've earned a failing grade for their courses because they haven't filled out the proper paperwork. So when I received this students' e-mail, I replied that I hoped she had filled out the proper paperwork, and if she needed assistance, I would be glad to help her with it. I ended my message with the hope that she would take the methods course again next year.

This was her reply: "I am aware of the forms that need to be filled out, and I have gone through the correct channels to ensure that I am properly withdrawn, and so NO, I don't need your assistance. I don't think I would have enjoyed the methods course, and don't believe that I will ever attempt to take it in the future. I am an English major, and rather than being confused on the first day, I was bored."

Wow. I don't know what I did to deserve such vitriol, but I hope she doesn't write e-mails to her other professors that way. Of course, the best response to such a message is no response at all. So I've done nothing. But you know how these things go. I can think of all kinds of ways I'd like to respond. So I'm playing a "what if" game. If I did respond to her, what would I write?

I'd like to hear from my readers. If you got this message, how would you reply to Miss Vinegar?

5 comments:

Donna Shea said...

Wow, such an immature response. I wouldn't take it personally! A snarky reply might include a suggestion that she take a similar approach with her boss at her first job after college when she's asked if she's completed all the appropriate forms esp W-4 and insurance apps, etc.

Lois Lavrisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gummibunny said...

Nancy, that's just awful! I can't imagine why someone would find it necessary to write that! I think you are correct that no response is the best response. But what I'd WANT to say is, "Well, then I'm glad you withdrew because apparently you are a witch." But I might've replaced that "w" with a "b."

Carol Ann Miller said...

I believe this young lady displaced her anger and you were an easy target. No, that is NOT a criticism, but I expect if she is an unhappy person she looks at you and concludes that you don't have a care in the world.

Dr.Remler, I have enough self esteem issues from my past to work through. DON'T YOU disappoint me by falling prey to her negative cheap shot.

YOU are far better than that....What did the main character in "THE HELP" tell the little girls she cared for? You are beautiful, you are smart and you are important!

Dr. Nancy Remler, YOU are beautiful inside and out, you are smart and YOU are important.

Save your emotional energy for the studemts open to your help.

LOL, Like I am any authority on "Self Esteem". But I sure am working on it!

Carol Miller

PS. Thank you for not publishing any photos from the lake where I could be recognizable. Next year I am going to hire a publicist, a hair dresser, make up artist, wardrobe consultant....

Mike G said...

Nancy
i remember the old adage that my father told me over and over NEVER burn a bridge, not even a small singe mark. I beleive this youg lady is like a lot of young people today they do not have the skills to deal face to face and hide behind text messages and email Would she have the nerve to be that classless in person? Doubtful