Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not a Happy Night for the Dawgs

It was not a good night for Georgia fans last night. For most of the game, the Dawgs looked little different from how they performed last year. Brandon Boykin's beautiful run down the field lifted spirits in the first quarter. But then Bulldog performance was underwhelming until Orson Charles's touchdown pass completion late in the game. But it's a little disappointing when the team's reason for celebrating is that they're only losing by two touchdowns. 

Eventually, I changed the channel and tuned into "Little House on the Prairie." I think the Dawgs could use some of Nellie Oleson's vinegar.


Watching "Little House on the Prairie" inspired me to think happy thoughts, so with a positive football attitude, I wish the Dawgs better luck next week. Then I reminisce about happier Georgia days when Stephen and I would take our coupon books to the Georgia coliseum and get our football tickets. We'd sit with a block of our friends and cheer on the Dawgs. In 1986, Georgia beat South Carolina, Old Miss, LSU, Clemson, Kentucky, and Tech. Vince Dooley was the coach. Football was fun.

 
Still, I can't help playing a small role of the armchair quarterback. 
 
If I were Mark Richt I would have:
  1. Worn less  makeup:  I know he has to look good on HDTV, but honestly, his face was so orange he looked like a Broncos fan in a red shirt. 
  2. Told Jarvis Jones to keep his helmet onLast I checked, chin straps weren't high tech, and even if they were, ninety-nine other guys on the team managed to figure theirs out. Jones lost his lid so much I began to wonder if he just wanted to get his face on TV. 
  3. Told the team to chill after the first touchdown: My father in-law made the observation a couple of years ago that when Georgia scores early in the game, they act like they're going to win 7-0 and the game goes downhill from there. His observation was right on the money last night. Yes, Boykin's TD was lovely, and he deserved some pats on the back, but everyone in a red uniform acted as if he'd turned water into wine. 
  4. Asked Nike to put players' names on the backs of those new uniforms:After last night's debacle, we'll probably never see those uniforms again (which might be a good idea since Jones's helmet seems defective), but for the season opener, it would have been nice to tell which player was which. I had to keep a team roster with me the whole time, and I still had trouble telling the difference between Orson Charles (#7) and Jesse Jones (also #7). Branden Smith and Isaiah Crowell both wear #1. At least I can tell them apart because Crowell has those awful long braids and Smith keeps his hair cut short. Still, names would have helped.
  5. Asked Herschel Walker to suit up and get on that field: Apparently Walker's been mentoring the Dawgs over the summer, and he was on the sidelines cheering them on in the Georgia Dome. But last night, they needed more than his moral support. He still looked in good shape. Maybe he could have helped. 
  6. Polished up that resume at halftime: He might be using it in the near future.     
Here's hoping the regular season fares better than the Chik-fil-A Classic. Maybe the Dawgs should have eaten more chikin. 

No comments: