Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Boys Are Back

Stephen, Davis, and Lawson departed early Friday morning for a long weekend of camping, hunting, and manly revelry in Kingstree, SC. Though they left Friday, their minds had been in Kingstree since the day after Thanksgiving, so when the big day arrived, I couldn't wait for them to leave. But after five days by myself on Wilmington Island, I was kind of ready for them to come home.

They're back now.

They must have had a really good time. I've never heard so much bathroom humor come out of Stephen in my life.

Of course, Davis and Lawson's excitement came from their enthusiasm for hunting. Davis has enjoyed duck hunting for the past two or three years, and he couldn't wait to shoot some of those feathered beauties out of the sky. Unfortunately, the weather was kind of dry. Apparently, ducks prefer to fly in the rain. So Davis only got to shoot about two or three. The mother in me can't help being a little glad about that. I had requested that he take photos before he plucked the feathers of the birds, and Davis was kind enough to remember.



But the bigger news was that Lawson shot his first deer. Lawson's just entered the hunting world a year or so ago, so I was not expecting him to exhibit such marksmanship so soon. He sure surprised me. Uncle Bob was kind enough to take photos. Unfortunately, darkness had fallen by the time the deer got to camp, so the images are rather dim. But I think readers can make out Lawson and the deer (Lawson is the one wearing the glasses).



With the bottle of wine in the foreground, this second photo makes it look like the deer just had too much to drink. 

Now we'll have deer for dinner several nights this winter. If any readers have some good venison recipes to share, feel free to send them our way. I'll have the crock pot waiting.

No comments: