Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring Break in the Mostly Melted but Still Chilly Big Apple, Volume III

The snow has mostly melted, even though in the shady spots it still clings to the ground and roof tops. It was a beautiful day Sunday, but because Davis and I packed so much into Saturday, we took a much more relaxing approach to Sunday.

Davis started the morning by sleeping through it. Finally, at noon I woke him and reported that I was hungry and ready to cook our remaining eggs and grits. He was welcome to share them if he wanted. He accepted that offer and we dug in to another southern breakfast. While he was sleeping, I had even made him a pitcher of sweet iced tea, no small feat with hotel room sugar packets.

Outside our window is Long Island Sound, and we became curious about the neighborhoods along the coast, so we set out to find them. Using the GPS in our phones (Boy, have we given that ap a workout this weekend!), we followed the map to New Rochelle's bay-front homes. The houses  themselves are similar to the homes in the neighborhood where I grew up in Hawkinsville (or like the houses in Savannah's Mayfair or Wilmington Park), but the back yards consist of private beaches along the blue waters of the sound. After driving around a bit, we found Hudson Park, where we could stop the car and view a regatta in progress.

Those sailors must have been freezing in those little boats because the wind was pretty brisk coming of the water. but they made a spectacular view, and the park had a band shell, a pavilion, and several monuments that made it a nice little place to take a walk. Also, when I climbed atop the rocks, I could take some photos of those attractive waterfront homes I'd just seen from the car.




Afterward, we went to a movie, Over 21, a comedy about college students drinking too much and having an all night adventure. It's Sixteen Candles goes to college or The Hangover on fraternity row. It gave us a few good laughs. 

Our post-movie activity was to drive to Yonkers to have dinner with the Dronzek family. Davis has befriended their oldest child David, also a student at SUNY Maritime, and much to Stephen's and my delight, the Dronzek's have welcomed Davis into their home as if he's one of their own. I just had to meet the people Davis has told us so much about, so they joined us for dinner at a lovely local Yonkers restaurant called Gianna's. Caryn, Dave, David, Kevin, and Jessica were so nice and so easy to talk to, and I immediately realized why Davis has taken to them so much. I enjoyed meeting them all. And then they invited us to their home for dessert and coffee. David's grandparents, Pete and  Grace, also joined us, and they were such sweethearts. We had a fun night eating crumb cake, looking at photos from indoctrination graduation, and talking sports. 



Unfortunately, the time soon came for Davis and David to return to the college, so the three of us loaded up our little rental car, and we drove over to Throgg's Neck. By the way, if anyone can explain to  me what a Throgg is and why its neck is significant, I'd be so appreciative. It was not easy saying goodbye to my boys, and I gave him three big hugs before sending him into his dorm, but I did have a wonderful weekend with him, and I am looking forward to seeing him again at Easter. Meanwhile, I express my sincerest thanks to the Dronzeks. When Stephen and I can't be withDavis, it's a relief to know he knows a wonderful family he can call on if he needs help.


No comments: