Tuesday, August 17, 2010

20

Stephen and I got married on August 18, 1990. It was his sister Laurie's birthday. It was his parents' 36th (I think) anniversary. And it was David and Ethel Rosenzweig's golden anniversary. August 18th was a good date for so many people that we thought it would be good to us as well.

It was.


And it was a fun wedding too. As I flipped through my wedding photos, I remembered some of the highlights:
  • Harley refused to cut his hair for the, oh, six to eight months prior to the big day. So at zero hour I found him in the bathroom trying to make it look halfway decent without employing a pair of scissors. Instead, he resorted to a comb, water and hair spray. The result was more befitting lunch at the Georgia Pig.
  • I lost my voice because my sisters, sisters in-law and girl friends took me out on the town for a bachelorette party that included too much tequila and apparently a lot of yelling.
  • Stephen was a wee bit hung over from his bachelor party, which took place at the Gold Club, which he immediately deemed a gold mine: "We've got to open one of these in Savannah!"
  • As the youngest of five kids, Stephen was the last to marry. As his older siblings tied the knot, Stephen considered it his duty to play pranks on them. For instance, at Laurie's wedding, Stephen put her car on top of ice blocks (Fortunately, she married in warm weather). So when our big day came, Stephen's brothers and sisters were ready for payback. Long story short: I still have birdseed in my suit case, and thank God in 1990 we could get away with taking bolt cutters into the Atlanta airport or Stephen would still have that cowbell chained around his neck.
  • Our wedding began at 5:00. It was over by 5:07. I'd never heard a Methodist minister talk so fast. Stephen figured he had a tee time.
After it was all over, we got in our rented Chrysler LeBaron convertible, covered with shaving cream and condoms, and rode off into the sunset. We've never looked back. Here's to the next 20 years.




No comments: