Monday, March 21, 2011

After the Green Day, Blue Men

To end my spring break with a bang, I decided to take my sons to Orlando, Florida for twenty-four hours of fun. Davis and Lawson have wanted to see the Blue Man Group for several years, and this year, we decided to make that happen.





We got up early Saturday morning and drove to Orlando, where we stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations Resort near Sea World. I reserved a room with a king bed and a pull-out couch so that all three of us would have plenty of sleeping room. However, Hilton decided to give us much more than that. Our suite came equipped with a full kitchen, a Jacuzzi tub, and a washer and dryer. If I wanted I could do all the housework I usually do at home! What fun!

Actually, the washer/dryer came in handy because we had a pre-concert swim and dried our bathing suits that night.

Here's our room.

Here's the view of the pool from our room, Lawson in said pool, and Davis sitting beside said pool:

































But the really fun part was seeing the Blue Men in concert. And after it was over, one of them left his blue thumbprint on Lawson's program, and Davis took a Blue Man photo.










Many friends and relatives have asked me, "What is the Blue Man Group?" Well, that's hard to explain. They're blue. They're men. They're in a group.

"But what do they do?" people ask.

Well, they play percussion on PVC pipes. They catch gumballs and Stay-Puft marshmallows in their mouths. They eat lots of Cap'n Crunch. And they really like their toilet paper.









Perhaps the best way to explain the Blue Man Group is to just show you:



They were a lot of fun. And now, spring break is over. Maybe my students will like me more if I shoot confetti into the classroom from a PVC cannon.

1 comment:

Belle said...

I wish you had come to Durham to see Blue Man Group! I went with a friend. I didn't love it - did you? I wished my children were there the whole time. I think, as a former percussionist myself, that I wanted more drumming. But the crowd was pumped and I did laugh heartily so all in all a success. Next time, I'm taking the kidlets.