Thursday, March 3, 2011

Davis at 17

My son Davis has had a big week.

First of all, he had a great lacrosse game, during which he scored twice. Go Davis! That's him at left: #16. But of course, now that he's a skilled lacrosse player, I'm going to have to learn the rules of the game. I looked up the basic rules, which were no help at all. They said the object of the game is to score more points than the opposing team. Duh.

Further research told me the area around the goal is called the crease and that players cannot touch the ball with their hands. Instead, they must move the ball by kicking it or throwing it with those pool skimmers they play with. Recent experience as a spectator has shown me they can also whack each other with said skimmers. Lacrosse looks like a cross between soccer and hockey.

I'll found out more about the game. Right now my burning question is whether I should capitalize the word. Lacrosse? LaCrosse? lacrosse? Maybe I should just spell it LAX. That's what the coaches do. Every time I get an e-mail from them I think they're giving me an update on happenings at the Los Angeles airport.

But enough about that. Davis has also had a big week because he turned 17 on March 1. We threw him a birthday dinner Monday night, complete with cheesecake, ice cream, and a girlfriend!

Megan gave him a new pair of Sperry flip flops (which means I can throw away the old ones!), which she couldn't wait to give to him. She also gave him an attractive belt, which Davis loves to model. Grandparents supplied him with a fistful of Benjamins, and PopPop gave him use of his Cadillac for prom night. Pretty sweet! I'm sure Megan appreciates that, as her hair would not survive an evening in the lucky truck. No radio and no air conditioning.

I now had 363 days left to control Davis. I'd better get busy!

No comments: