Saturday, June 23, 2012

Paddleboarding on Betz Creek

Ever since paddleboarding became popular, I've been curious about it. It looks fun and not as challenging as surfing, and it seems to be a fun and different activity for all the creeks around Savannah. So when Davis borrowed a friend's paddleboard Friday afternoon, we all hurried down to the dock to see what this new activity was all about.

I also took my new camera, as I am still trying to figure out all its bells and whistles. Turns out it has a lot!

So Davis put the paddleboard in the water and hopped right on, as if he's been doing it all his life...
Off he went, up and down the creek. It looked like so much fun. And he didn't even get wet! So then Stephen decided to give it a whirl...
...fully clothed and wearing his watch. He seemed pretty confident on that thing, and he made it look pretty easy too. Kelley and David watched from the dock.
We tried to get Kelley to give it a spin. She was, after all, in her bathing suit. But she said no thank you. I still think she should have tried it. Maybe next time. Taylor and MacKenzie were reluctant to attempt it also. But it looked pretty easy to me, so I handed Taylor my camera and my watch, and I strapped that leash around my ankle...
I figured if I fell in, I fell in. I could always throw my clothes in the washing machine. But there was no need. Paddleboarding takes a little getting used to, but it didn't take long to paddle up to the next dock and back. Well, once Taylor saw Aunt Nancy paddleboarding in a dress, she decided she was up to the challenge as well.
And she took to it as fast as Davis did. Up and down the creek. By that time, Lawson had arrived, and it wouldn't do until he had a turn also.
But then Davis said it was his turn again, so he hopped back on the paddleboard, and Lawson and Taylor decided to try to knock him off. "Nothing doing," Davis said, and he paddled away--all the way down to Bull River.
Once the object of their torment paddled away, Taylor and Lawson decided to jump off the dock a few times, and that gave me a chance to try out another feature of my camera. I can't remember what it's called, but it's that feature of continuous shots that make the camera go kachee, kachee, kachee, the same way professional photographers' cameras do when they take photos of sports. Here is my series of action shots of Lawson:
kachee...
kachee...
 kachee...
kachee...
Splash!
It was a fun and exciting evening!










No comments: