Sunday, May 19, 2013

SACURRITY!

In Remlerville, everything happens at the same time. Before anything else, I want to shout out congratulations to two high school graduates, Courtney and Carson. Have a great summer, and enjoy your journey to LSU and Ole Miss (respectively)!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. Four Remlers went four separate ways over the weekend:
  • The Empire State finally departed Montauk, so Davis is now on his way to New Orleans. When we heard from him this afternoon, the ship was just off the Bahamas.
  • Stephen played a golf tournament at Crosswinds golf club with Brother Bob, nephew Ben Bob, and other nephew Justin.
  • Lawson went to Charolotte, NC to the famous Carowinds, thrill capital of the Southeast with the eighth grade of St. Peter the Apostle School. 
  • I went to Atlanta to visit Sabra and Martin in their new house and also got to see a great comedy show and a strange woman's minimized breasts. Yes.  Read on.
I can't tell you much about Davis's journey because our access to him is so limited. In fact, I've told you everything I know in the first bullet above.

The golf tournament was rained out, but we still hope it raised a lot of money for the Calvary Day School scholarship fund.

Lawson returned home from Carowinds at about midnight last night. Because Stephen had taken Lawson and Mills Thompson to the drop off at six o'clock Saturday morning, Mills's mother picked them up last night. Lawson spent the night with Mills, and he still has not come home, so I haven't gotten a report from him. All I know of Carowinds at this point is what I can gather from the following photo:

 Photo courtesy of Kristi Lowenthal

Lawson's wearing his favorite camouflage visor, which makes him a little hard to see. He's also hiding behind a stuffed dinosaur, but you can probably make him out if you look at the back row, second from the right, between Mills Thompson and Anna Price. What do you think, devoted readers? Looks to me like he had a good time. I'll get a full report from Lawson if he ever comes home. He seems to like life at the Thompson household. 

And then there was my trip--my first road trip in my new Honda CRV:

I just love it! It's roomy, and it gets good mileage, and it's a comfortable drive. 

Once I made it above the gnat line, I took a side trip to Indian Springs because I had to do a little research for a story I'm writing. I thought I knew how to get there, but just in case, I turned on the GPS in my trusty iPhone 5, which took me around my behind to get to my elbow, and it took me the back way into the Indian Springs park, which had me driving on a red dirt and gravel road, which kicked up orange dust all over the back of my new car! 

Next time, I'm reading a map. 

Upon arrival at Indian Springs, I visited the spring itself as well as the visitor center and picnic area. I would like to have visited the museum, but it was closed. Boo.
The stone building constructed as a WPA project. 
The spring
The visitors' center, historic home Idlewild, which is on the 
National Register of Historic Places.
  I don't know why this wedding dress was in the visitors' center, 
but I thought it was pretty.
 After my side trip, I found my way back to the interstate by driving through Jackson, Georgia, and even though I was tempted to stop at the Fresh Air Barbecue, I resisted the urge because I knew Sabra was expecting me. 
Sabra has a new house! And it's lovely. She has a fabulous kitchen with granite counter tops and beautiful cabinets. And I envy her gas stove. I haven't cooked on gas in almost ten years and I miss it. 
Her breakfast room looks out into a forest of beautiful hardwoods, and she has a new dining room table that matches Auntma's old break front.

She and Martin are so happy in their new home, and I am looking forward to coming up again for another visit.

We would have been content to sit around and admire their new home, but Sabra and I had shopping to do, so we spent part of Saturday afternoon at Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville. We browsed Dillards, and while we were in the lingerie department checking out the SPANX, another lady was shopping for Wacoal bras. She disappeared into the fitting room and a few minutes later reappeared, hands on hips, chest out. "I don't know if you noticed my boobs earlier," she said to me, "but do these look smaller to you?" 

I've put that question on my list of things I'd never thought I'd have said to me. I replied with a definite "Uhhh..."

She continued. "This is supposed to be a minimizer bra. It has the underwires on the outside instead of the inside. Do you think it's working?"

Really. She was asking me about her bosoms. I'd never met this woman before.

"Well," I replied. "As you said, I have no point of comparison, but I do think that bra is a good fit for you." I thought that was a pretty good reply. Apparently she did too, because she went back into her dressing room, at which point I found Sabra and said, "Quick! Let's go look at shoes!"

 After our shopping trip, we went home to get Martin because he had bought me and Sabra a mother's day present: tickets to see comedienne Anjelah Johnson. Devoted readers might recognize her by her alter ego, Bon Qui Qui:
Not famil? The take a look at the following video before reading further:

The show took place at the lovely Cobb Energy Center, which I had never heard of, even though it's been around for the last several years. That just goes to show that I don't get around Atlanta much when I'm up there. But I'll be sure to check out more shows at that venue because it's mighty nice.
Our seats looked right out over the stage, and we enjoyed Anjelah Johnson very much until SACURRITY showed up and said we were in the wrong seats.

Rude.

Martin tried to talk some sense into him, but he said we had to get up and move to the complete opposite side of the auditorium. Sabra told him, "I will cut you," but he made us move anyway.

Fortunately, just as we were out of our seats, he looked at our tickets again and said, "Oh, no. My bad. I was so wrong. You are in the right seats."

Thought so.

We sat back down and had a great time.
Sabra and Martin
Thanks, Martin, for a wonderful Mother's Day gift! 
And now, I want to alert devoted readers to upcoming special themed posts for Remlerville: 
  • Roukos Live
  • Back in the Day with Nancy and Sabes  
Roukos Live:  Last spring, Sabra and I came up with the brilliant idea of shooting a series of videos starring Lawson Roukos Remler. We named the show Roukos Live, and we thought said videos would become YouTube sensations, much in the same way that Bon Qui Qui has been. Unfortunately, the life of an upper middle schooler has made it difficult for Lawson to produce the videos with the frequency that Sabra and I had planned. So I think it's going to be up to me to make such episodes happen. First, I'll have to learn how to edit video. Please be patient with that, but while I'm learning, I'll put my amateur Roukos Live short videos and posts on Remlerville, starting with Roukos Live: Lawson Graduates. Stay tuned.
Back in the Day with Nancy and Sabes: Lately I have thoroughly enjoyed preparing several recipes from the Back in the Day Bakery cookbook by Savannahians Cheryl and Griffith Day. I think I've bought about six copies of that cook book to give as gifts. The recipes are just yummy! But they also take practice. When I went up to Atlanta, I gave Sabra a copy, and she's already started trying some recipes out. So we decided to share our experiences on Remlerville. Of course, we won't publish the recipes, as we think Cheryl and Grif deserve to sell more copies, but we will write about our successes and challenges as we try to reproduce what Cheryl and Grif have mastered and sell repeatedly in their Starland District store. So some upcoming posts will be co-authored by the postess with the mostess, Sabra Lawson. Check back soon for our first post:  pudding!

 




 
 

No comments: