Friday, October 8, 2010

'Tis the (Football) Season

Last year I wrote a blog about football because I finally realized that if I wanted any of my husband's attention from September through December, I'd have to know what a running back was. I learned a lot. I had fun with that blog, and I gained a few fans too!

But I'm not writing Learning the Dawgs any more because the 2010 college football season has given me little to write about. Well, with respect to the game anyway. I guess over the summer I could have written about Damon Evans's misfortune. And in August I could have weighed in on A. J. Green's venture into the clothing market. But what I really wanted was to see the Dawgs play some ball.

I'm still waiting.

Meanwhile, I've watched a few other teams play, but it's hard to keep up with who's who on every team. I did happen to walk into the kitchen at the end of the LSU-Tennessee game last weekend, just in time to catch what my friend Jack refers to as "the worst example of coaching in football history." I see Jack's point, but I think the players have to take some responsibility there too. Even I can count to 13.

Later that night, AJ Green returned to the field, only to leave it again in the third quarter due to leg cramps, and his teammate, who suffered an unfortunate leg injury, left the stadium in tears. Not tears of pain. Tears of rage. I found that image unbecoming a college football player.

So this season, college ball doesn't get much attention from me. I have watched a little high school ball, but really what I have enjoyed this year has been middle school football, specifically the St. Peter the Apostle Rams. Those boys put their hearts and souls into that game.

Thursday, October 7, was the St. Peter's homecoming game. I sat through the junior varsity game and the varsity game, and I got more excited in those two matches of football than I have during any of Georgia's games this year. Some players of the St. Peter's Rams are worth noting:

#22 Casey Hughes: This eighth grader runs on winged feet. If he's not carrying the ball, he's not far behind it. Even if the other team has the ball. St. Peter's would kick off, and the ball would sail 70 yards, and Casey Hughes would already be right underneath it, ready to pounce on the poor opponent who caught it. He's like Speedy Gonzales with shoulder pads. Last night Stephen said he hopes Benedictine is ready for this boy next year (They ought to be; they sure could use him). But I think Hughes is talented enough for even some colleges to take notice.

#25 Drew Tison: In sixth grade, this junior varsity player can do it all. I've seen him run, pass, catch, and tackle. I think I may have seen him kick, too. Last night, when quarterback Adam King sat out to treat an injury, Drew Tison filled in. That's how versatile he is. I've seen Drew plow through a defensive line like a Visagoth, and I've seen him pat his teammates on the back and congratulate them on good plays. I love to watch Drew on the field because he's not only a good player, but he's also a well-rounded good kid.

#8 Lawson Remler: Always understated, Lawson has never sought the football limelight. He's happy just to be on the field with his buddies (and to wear his jersey to school on game days). But last night Lawson surprised us all with his pass interception against the Country Day Hornets. One of the offensive Hornets threw a long pass to a receiver, and out of nowhere here came Lawson, and as if he were a ball magnet, he grabbed that pigskin and ran for a first down for the Rams. I have never cheered so loud in my life, and I know maternal bias is kicking in here, but that was the most beautiful play I've ever seen.

What I can say about all the St. Peter the Apostle Rams is that they're old enough to play an interesting game, but they're too young to be consumed by what football can do for them. They're just full of team spirit and heart. And they can play. Some. Ball.

1 comment:

Sabra said...

If you could skate, it would be great if you could make a figure 8!