Sunday, December 12, 2010

Third Degree Burns

Last week I mentioned to my friend Donna Shea that Stephen and I were taking the boys to Hawkinsville for the annual Lawson Christmas reunion. Having read my previous Thanksgiving blog a couple of weeks ago and learned what pyromaniacs were are, she was a little puzzled.

"Didn't you just have your family reunion?" she asked.

"Oh, no," I explained. "That group of 30 folks was just the immediate family. This weekend is a gathering of the extended family."

Next, she asked, "And what will you burn this time?"

Well, to answer Donna's question, we burned these logs, which enabled us to collect coals for our tasty oyster roast, which comprised Phase I of the reunion. I also burned my fingers (not bad, though) as I attempted to roast an individual oyster right in the coals.


Next, we burned some rubber as we traveled down the Unadilla Highway for Phase II. At the farm, we burned logs in Johnny McCune's new fire pit constructed out of a tractor tire rim. The kids burned up some calories as they played football, played hide and seek and jumped in the inflatable moon-walk provided by Auntie Rena.

I also burned up some batteries taking lots of photos of the fun day.

After a delicious fried chicken meal (because six five-gallon buckets of oysters just isn't enough), we burned some fossil fuels with a fun hay ride around the farm. Stephen, Davis and I burned up a bit more petroleum as we rode Johnny's Polaris Ranger on a tour of the farm.



After a beautiful, fun day of catching up with relatives, the Remlers returned to town with Hugh and BB, where we burned the midnight oil inspecting Hugh's knife box. As Davis organized the collection for his grandfather, he learned that Hugh owns, among other things, 27 Swiss Army knives.

And now, I am burning up the Internet sending photos to my many aunts, uncles, and cousins. As these photos can see, we didn't burn the candle at both ends, but we surely got all the goodie out of that day!

1 comment:

Belle said...

Cleverly told, and truly, I need just one day with you people.