Monday, December 27, 2010

White...Well, Gray Boxing Day

The last time Savannah saw snow was December, 1989. It was a real white Christmas. And of course, because Stephen and I were not yet engaged, I was in Atlanta at the time with my family, where it did not snow, so I missed all the excitement.




But it did snow yesterday. It didn't stick, but it snowed.That's gotta count for something. Along with snow, though, comes cold, cold weather. And yesterday we also had wind. But we didn't let it get us down.

Boxing Day 2010 took place at JoJo and PopPop's newly renovated beach house on Tybee. The oyster roast took place in the garage, and we consumed two party packs of oysters. Later, we moved the party indoors, where PopPop's new bumper pool table was in constant use all day long. In fact, I think I've got to get myself one of those. In addition to pool, we also played several exciting rounds of Left, Right, Center. First we played with a pile of quarters I'd brought along in a Crown Royal bag. Later, though, Kelley said, "We should play again, but this time with dollar bills, and the winner gets to keep the pot!" Everyone agreed, so we all anted up, and MacKenzie won the first round. For the next round, Megan Tucker won the pot.

Megan's mother made an astute observation: "Why is it that the grown ups supplied all the money, but the kids won the pots?"

Megan replied, "Because you all have the bank accounts."

She's a smart kid.

We topped the evening off with a big blaze as Davis led the annual burning of the Remler Christmas tree. Because of the wind, Stephen stood by with a running hose (the neighbors were looking a little nervously at the bonfire). After all our noses were cold and we were ready to go inside, Stephen doused the fire, and we all returned indoors for more bumper pool.





1 comment:

Belle said...

The oysters, I've been craving them. Reading this made my mouth water. As for fire, I tend to think of myself as a pyromaniac too. Harder in an urban setting.

You people do have a lot of fun, and now I have an image of you texting away to the Lawsons whilst burning & shucking with the Remlers. GOOD. TIMES.

HappY New YeAr!

Also, can my children see True Grit?