Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Posted Too Soon: Those Bushes Took a Beating

If you've read my previous entry, you'll notice I posted too soon. For the first, oh, ten minutes of the game against the New Mexico State, it looked like the Aggies might actually give the Dawgs some competition during the homecoming game.
Unfortunately, the bout was not the nail biter
that David Goldman's AP photo suggests.

After I hit the "publish" button, Georgia scored touchdown after touchdown, bringing the score to 49-3 at halftime. So the game was not as exciting as I thought it would be, and I wonder:  Did it demonstrate the point I made about Isaiah Crowell? Sure, the Dawgs could hold their own without him yesterday, but how much of a measure was yesterday's game? By halftime, I felt like I was watching the Dawgs take on Hawkinsville High School.

The most exciting parts of the game to me happened in the first half. First Tavarres King attempted to catch a touchdown pass. He missed, and then took a tumble, which sent him straight into the hedges. It took him a few minutes to come out, a little scratched up, maybe, but otherwise fine. Just a few minutes later, Aaron White did make that TD for Georgia, but like his teammate, he couldn't control his momentum at the goal line. Fortunately, he managed to leap over a Redcoat's xylophone before landing head first into the hedge. It took several Bulldogs and a few trainers to pull him out. I'm sure the groundskeepers were shaking their heads with woe.
 Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Still, after watching six touchdowns in the first half, I decided I had better things to do with my time. So I went downstairs to work out. Then after taking a shower, I went to 5:30 Mass and deposited my envelope in the basket so that Father Roll Call can count me present one more time.

The game ended at 63-16. Well, I'm glad for the Aggies that it wasn't a blowout. Next week we play Auburn. That ought to be an exciting game. I hope we get to see more of Brandon Harton in it.

No comments: