Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Yellow Jackets Got Stung

I was expecting Georgia to win Saturday afternoon. After the train wreck of the season's start, the Dawgs have pulled themselves together into a winning team. We already knew they'd be going to the SEC championship next weekend, so the win over Tech was just icing on the cake. It's always fun to beat Tech. But that's all I'm going to say about that. Some people in my family who grew up in Atlanta fancy the Ramblin' Wreck. So I won't rub their noses in their loss too bad.

Instead, I'll comment on a couple of things I noticed during Saturday's game.
  1. TebowingIt's the practice of taking a knee and praying in the end zone whenever one scores a touchdown. I guess this weekend it's appropriate to thank God for a score, though I think there are more important things to be thankful for. But now, players on other teams are Tebowing as well. When Tech scored their first TD, the player Tebowed. J.D. says that when players Tebow, they're mocking Tim Tebow, but Harley said some players are trying to emulate him. I don't really care which it is, but I think that once your last name becomes a verb and blogs are dedicated to it. you've made quite an impression.
  2. Speaking of Tebowing:  I think the officials need to make a decision about what players can do when they're happy. For instance, Sean Williams made a beautiful pass interception, but then he got a penalty because he spiked the ball before he jumped up and down in celebration. It was the spike that cost the Dawgs the yards, not the whooping and hollering, which I thought were more conspicuous than throwing the ball on the ground. But then let's consider what is allowed and disallowed in the end zone. One cannot dance after a touchdown. One cannot spike the ball after a touchdown. Those behaviors are unsportsmanlike conduct. But one can fake a prayer after a touchdown. I just find that kind of odd. 
  3. But what I think is more odd is that whenever Aaron Murray finds himself having to run with the ball, he waves it out to his side, holding it without only one hand as he does so. That drives me crazy. I know next to nothing about football, and even I know that's a precarious grip. I've been waiting for him to fumble. Fortunately, that hasn't happened, and I hope the first time doesn't occur next weekend!
See what I mean? 
And this photo doesn't even display his typical grip.
Usually that arm is straight out to the right, and he's waving it around like a traffic cop.
 
So next weekend, Georgia takes on LSU in the Georgia Dome. I am really looking forward to that game, but I'm a little bummed out that I have to go to Orlando that day. Stephen says the game starts at 4:00. Maybe I can get to Orlando and check into my hotel room before the game starts? Hope so. I can't take notes while I'm driving and listening to the radio. 

No comments: