Tuesday, February 9, 2010

For Susan Baldwin: Chicken Pot Pie

To view the video, Facebook readers can link to Remlerville blog (http://remlerville.blogspot.com)

The above video has inspired many a dinnertime ditty in the past sixteen years. Every time we have this golden, crusty, home cooked favorite, my boys and I sing the chicken pot pie song. Then, when I reconnected with my high school buddy Susan Baldwin about a year ago, I learned from her blog that she and her children are also chicken pot pie singers! And that is the best evidence available that great minds think alike!

When Lawson came in the kitchen last night and saw I was making chicken pot pie, he did a little dance right in front of the dish washer.

My recipe is not made from scratch. Nor is it complicated. But it is pretty darn good. Here's how I make it:

Ingredients
3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 sixteen ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of celery soup
1 refrigerated pie crust
cooking spray

Instructions:
I finally learned how to shred chicken. After reading my curried chicken crepes posting, my mom e-mailed me and told me that to shred chicken, you simply cook the breast and take it off the bone. Then you put it in a plastic bag and twist it up. Who knew? Well, apparently my mom.

After shredding the chicken, put it in a skillet and turn the stove up to medium high heat. When the chicken starts to sizzle, add the mixed vegetables. Cook until kind of soft. Add the soups. Stir over the heat until bubbly. Put the soup/vegetable/chicken mixture in a pie plate. Cover with refrigerated crust. Cut little vents in the top and spray with cooking spray so the crust won't scorch.

Bake at 400 degrees until the pie is bubbly. The edges of my crust usually get done before the pie, so I use my trusty silicone pie protector for the last fifteen minutes or so. I love that thing.

Sometimes I have a little chicken/soup/vegetable mixture left over. When that happens, I put it in an individual sized disposable aluminum pan and make a crust with frozen biscuits. That pie will do in a pinch, but my family likes the pie crust better.

No comments: