Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Food

"I'll be in charge of the Super Bowl Food tonight."

That was Stephen's code for "It's time to fire up the Big Green Egg."

And that was fine with me. Whenever my husband offers to cook a meal, I'm all for it.

Super Bowl Sunday is just the right day for grilling. Stephen can
cook the meal, and I can watch all the good commercials. Except for when we went to the Publix, he was all about the
grilled sausage, cheese dip and Buffalo wings. After feasting the
past two nights on curried chicken crepes and Beef Bourguignon, I was in the mood for something healthier. Don't
get me wrong. Some foods are worth getting fat for. Velveeta
ain't one of 'em.


So he put his sausage and chicken wings in the cart, but I added
to them some drumsticks, cucumber, eggplant, portabello mushrooms and fat free mozzarella cheese.

Did you know that when you take the skin off a drumstick and
grill it, it's only one Weight Watcher Point? And vegetables
don't have any points at all, so with my menu, I could eat as much food as I wanted.

Stephen started the meal with an appetizer of sliced navel oranges. My, they were juicy and good. Then he grilled the
drumsticks (and the wings), along with the eggplant and
mushrooms. While he was doing that, I made a cucumber
and tomato salad. Davis had his own dish in the making. He
worked on a pizza, which he also cooked on the Big Green Egg.

Once Stephen came in with the eggplant, I topped them with tomato and fat-free mozzarella (I topped a mushroom too)
and put them in the oven for a few minutes.

So we enjoyed an evening of tasty goodness without all the
empty calories.

We complemented the healthy meal with a cocktail Stephen
learned while boating on the Ocmulgee: vodka, cranberry,
and soda, garnished with an orange slice.

Davis made several pizzas tonight, but he learned the hard way
that heating the grill up to 800 degrees means he has to keep
an eye on that pizza crust. That second one came out black. But the third pizza was perfect.

Now, if the Saints can just score the way this dinner did, we'd be in business. And the commercials? So far my favorites are Betty White playing football and the violin-playing beaver.

No comments: