Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Good News Is. . .

Sunday as I passed through the dining room with a basket of laundry, I found Stephen at the table perusing the newspaper. I was surprised to see him flipping through a Macy's circular, stopping at the china page.

"You're looking at plates?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, pointing to a Lenox pattern. "That one looks a lot like your Fruits of Life."

I agreed, but raised perplexed eyebrows. Since when was he interested in dishes? Was he already thinking about our anniversary gift? We have a milestone coming up in August, and for the past three years, I've been saying that I'm going to get a new set of everyday china for our 20th anniversary. But I wasn't expecting Stephen to buy it for me. That was going to be an anniversary gift to myself. Stephen could have something manly, like, I don't know, socks.

Stephen noticed my puzzled face and said, "I know you've been talking about getting new dishes. I didn't really pay much attention to you until you started blogging about food. Now that I've seen photos of our plates, I see how bad they look. They're all chipped and faded."

"Yeah," I replied. "Twenty years of use will do that to them."

"Look at that set," he said. "It looks familiar. Do we know somebody with those dishes?"

"We do," I told him. "We have a platter in that pattern."

And then I went on my way to the laundry room, whispering to myself a triumphant "Yes!" Stephen's on board with the anniversary china!

1 comment:

Belle said...

Oh fun - new plates. Ours are chipped, too...and maybe I'm tired of them. But the choices are so vast nowadays!