Thursday, March 25, 2010

No Loaves, But Good Fishes

Few dinners are better than fried fish. Davis can attest to that. When I broil a fish, he'll tolerate it, eating one filet for dinner. But when I fry those white, flaky morsels of seafood, he's all over them.

Tuesday morning when I went to the freezer to pull out some meat to thaw, I was uninspired. We'd just had grilled chicken (thanks to Stephen) and chili dogs (thanks in part to Stephen) cooked on the Big Green Egg. So I wasn't in the mood for beef or chicken. Besides, my supply of ingredients was running low in the kitchen. Late for work already, I had little time to consider the evening's menu. I saw a package of trout filets and grabbed them. They thawed all day as I considered how to cook them.

Still uninspired when I arrived home, I looked in the cabinet and found a box of Zatarain's fish batter, so I decided to go ahead and fry them. I dredged the trout filets in the Zatarain's and heated up just a little bit of oil in my trusty electric skillet. Then I cooked each filet for about five minutes on each side until they were a savory golden brown. I served them with squash and zucchini stir fried in olive oil and Stephen's favorite side dish, grits.

Stephen suggested we let Tuesday night's dinner be our Lenten meal. I don't think Monsignor Costigan would go for that. However, Davis was very nice to me that night--at least until we ran out of fish.

No comments: