Sunday, September 23, 2012

Georgia 48, Vanderbilt 3

Another victory for Georgia, but it's not one I can get too excited about. Don't get me wrong; I like to see Georgia win just as much as the next person, but when the opposing team gets the spanking Vanderbilt did last night, it's not as much fun to watch. There's no challenge.

Wait. Let me rephrase my thought.

I would like to see Florida take a spanking any day of the week. But with any other team, I'd like to see the game be at least a little bit of a struggle for Georgia too. It's nice to see when the home team has to try to win. Even when Georgia messed up big time, Vanderbilt just couldn't compete.

For instance, Vandy had so many penalties in the first half that the sports announcers described them as "epidemic." What an apt description. I thought the Commodores came with a goal to color the field yellow.

Even in the second half, when they got their act a little bit more together, they just couldn't catch a break. Their ONE time they got the ball across the goal line, the player lost control of it, so the referee ruled it a touchback and not a touch down.

Poor Vandy.

But it's not like Georgia didn't give them any opportunities. For instance, look at this disaster of a field goal in the first quarter:



Now, this is a family friendly blog, so I refrain from using bad language in my posts, but when I saw this play, I couldn't help yelling, "What the ____ was that?" You fill in the blank. I'll give you a hint. I didn't use the term Sam Hill.

As Stephen said, "Extra points are an adventure this year for Georgia." I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank goodness we got all our extra points after that, but one of them did have to bounce off the goal post before it went through. 

Then there was Malcom Mitchell's decision not to wave for a fair catch at the kickoff. Instead, he had the brilliant idea to run the ball and only made it to the five yard line. We might as well have wrapped up a touch down and given it to Vanderbilt as a gift. But even with that disadvantage, the Commodores failed to hold Georgia back, and the Dawgs' offense drove the ball ninety-five yards to a touchdown, bringing the score to 27-0.


By the end of the third quarter, I'd lost interest in the game. Even when Richard Samuel stepped onto the field, I watched just long enough to be amused at the fact that he has the name SAMUEL IV on his jersey. I guess that's to help the rest of us distinguish him from his father and grandfather, who must also be on the field wearing red #22 jerseys.

Then I wondered about women playing football. "Why hasn't that ever caught on?" I asked Stephen. "We have women's teams in every other sport except football."

He didn't reply. I think he'd fallen asleep.

So I began an internet search on my iPad. As it turns out, not only do women play football, but they do so professionally in three leagues: The Independent Women's Football League, the Women's Football Alliance, and the Women's Spring Football League. Who knew? (Not me). And as it turns out, we have a women's team in Savannah!  The Savannah Sabers just finished their 2012 season. They're part of the Women's Football Alliance. They play out in Garden City. Atlanta has some professional women's football teams too. Next spring, I might just go out and see some of those games.

Meanwhile, I'll get excited about Georgia's next game against Tennessee! The Volunteers! (In last week's post, I said we'd be playing them last night. I read the schedule wrong. So I'm glad I'm back on track). Go Dawgs!

No comments: