Friday, September 14, 2012

Who's That #20? He Sure Is Good!

The number 2 seems to be lucky in this household. For instance, when I published Dunaway's Crossing, I had successful book signings at a number of businesses featuring the number two. In July, I signed books at Two Women and a Warehouse. Then I had another signing at Two Smart Cookies. The next weekend, I was off to St. Simons to sign books at Two Friends. Actually, I have TWO book signings at Two Friends because in a few weeks, I'll be off to sign books at their Perry location. In December, I'll be signing books at One Fish, TWO Fish on Whitaker Street.

The power of TWO seems to be working for Lawson Remler as well. During his SECOND game of the season, my number 2-0 made TWO pass interceptions against the behemoths that make up Blessed Sacrament's offensive line.

Two!

As a result, I got to see what a safety is really supposed to do.

Much of the time, while the rest of the team is doing this...



Lawson is in the back field, covering the receivers who want to complete a pass and run for the boal line:
And if that receiver does complete the pass, it's Lawson's job to bring him down, which he did a few times. But what he'd really like to do is get in front of that receiver and take the ball away from him and run for the other goal line, like this:
(I know the picture's blurry, but everything was going so fast, and I was really excited)

Even I can tell from the sidelines that a pass interception is hard to do. And Lawson managed to complete TWO of them last night against the Blessed Sacrament Irish. And once he did, he ran for that goal line like his pants were on fire, not only gaining possession for the Rams, but also moving the ball 35 to 40 yards closer to the right goal line. 
GO, LAWSON!
Unfortunately, he was never able to take the ball all the way down the field, and by the end of the game, Blessed Sacrament took the win. But Lawson left that game on a high, partly because of his exciting performance, but also because when he walked off the field, he was surrounded by cheerleaders, including one special girl, Smiley Riley:

Not a bad night for a boy who had to be talked into playing football this year. And because poor Ian Heap's foot is injured, Lawson's ended up playing offense and defense (TWO positions!). He never left the field last night (most of our team didn't because the team's so small), and his legs were screaming at him on the way home (so he took TWO ibuprofen). This season is not what Lawson expected, but last night, he wasn't complaining!
Something lit a fire in Lawson last night. Maybe it was those magic gloves (I noticed Drew Tison wore a pair also). Maybe it was the hearty dinner he ate beforehand. Maybe it was a combination of the two. I'll never be sure, but just to be on the safe side, we're eating the same dinner next Thursday night too:



2 comments:

Belle said...

I eagerly await the insertion of CHICKEN POT PIE into the occasional Remlerville blog post!

Way to Go, Lawson!

Belle said...

I eagerly await the insertion of CHICKEN POT PIE into the occasional Remlerville blog post!

Way to Go, Lawson!