Sunday, January 10, 2010

Boston Butt on the Big Green Egg



When I started this project, I decided not to impose my rules on my husband's nights to cook. But tonight, he volunteered to cook a meal so delicious it warrants a write-up.

Tonight's dinner was Boston butt, and the butt my husband cooks in his Big Green Egg is the best butt in east Chatham County.

If you like to grill but don't have a Big Green Egg, get one. It's fabulous. I'm not exaggerating. It's Georgia's best product since the cotton gin. And ever since my husband got one more than ten years ago, we've been egg-thusiasts. If you live in the metro Atlanta area, just go over to the Big Green Egg headquarters on Lawrenceville Highway. Or, if you live in coastal Georgia, you can get your Big Green Egg from Ross Daniel at Daniel Lumber Company. Tell him the Remlers sent you.

Okay, here's how to make the Boston butt:
First, get a Boston butt. Now, today we got ours at Publix. We've always been happy with their meat counter. But if you happen to live in middle Georgia, it would be worth your while to take a drive to Hawkinsville, Georgia to M&T Meats (their store is on the Lower River Road). They've got the best pork around.

Okay, so once you've got your Boston butt, spread it all over with Big Green Egg seasoning (available at most Big Green Egg distributors or online via the Big Green Egg website). Then put it on the Egg. Using a meat thermometer, cook the Boston butt somwhere between 200-250 degrees until the thermometer says the meat is 200 degrees. Now, most thermometers or cookbooks will tell you the pork is done when it reaches 170 degrees. That's true. But we like to cook ours a little longer. At 200, the meat is cooked well through, but because of the Egg's expert (Eggspert?) design, the meat is tender, juicy, delicious!

My husband chops up the meat before serving it. We can make sandwiches out of it, but usually, I just put a small pile on my plate. Why mess with the bread? The meat is so good that it really doesn't need sauce, but if you're a sauce enthusiast, you must try Miss Alma's barbecue sauce, produced by Gooseneck Farms.

Tonight, I served the Boston but with corn on the cob, cabbage, and asparagus. My boys gave the meal a big thumbs up, not because of the vegetables, which they ate because I made them, but because of their father's expert grilling skills.

We keep begging him to open a barbecue stand. Maybe one day he'll do it.

No comments: