Saturday, January 16, 2010

Grilled Lamb Chops with Orange Marmalade Glaze

I love lamb chops about as much as I love Brussels sprouts, so when I get to have them both for dinner, that's a really good night. Adding to the pleasure of the evening was that both my children were away for the night (one camping with a friend, the other spending the night with JoJo), so my husband and I got to enjoy our meal with no complaining about the vegetables and no bickering among siblings.

Can't ask for more than that.

Now, though, I've made lamb chops, and this is the only way I know how to make them, so I can't have them again until I finish this project--whenever that will be.

These lamb chops were cooked on the Big Green Egg. Here's how to cook them:

Ingredients:
8-10 T-bone lamb chops
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 Vidalia onion
3/4 cup orange marmalade (I use the low sugar kind)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce (use the low sodium kind)

Instructions:
Light the Big Green Egg and let it heat to 350 degrees or so. While it's heating, season the chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder. When the Egg is hot, put the chops on and cook them about 7 minutes per side. While the chops are cooking, chop up the onion. Put the olive oil in a small sauce pan and add the onion bits. Cook them on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the onions are limp. Turn the burner to low and remove the onions from the heat. Add the marmalade, lemon juice and soy sauce. By this time the burner will have cooled. Return the pot to the burner and stir the marmalade mixture slowly until it's warmed through. Serve with the chops.

Tonight I served my lamb chops with roasted white potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts. The potatoes are easy. I just peel them and cut them into little pieces. Then I toss them in some olive oil and roast them at 425 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. I like it with the sides get a little brown and crunchy. I use the same technique for the Brussels sprouts. I cut them in half, then toss them in olive oil and salt. Then I roast them at 425 (with the potatoes in the oven too) for about 20 minutes or so (depending on how big the sprouts are). I watch the sprouts carefully because if they cook to long they get mushy and they're no good.

My boys are not big Brussels sprouts fans (they'll come around soon enough), but my brother Harley loves them, so when he's in town, I try to serve them.

No comments: