Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4: Hone Lime Salmon


I got this recipe from Rachael Ray's cookbook, 365 No Repeats. See? Great minds think alike. I bought this cookbook about two years ago for the precise reason that I thought a "no repeats" year would be fun. Do you know how many recipes I've made from this cookbook?

One.

Honey Lime Salmon.

It's good stuff. Along with the salmon is the recipe for a warm spinach and corn salad. Here's how I make each.

To Make the Salmon:
First, I must point out that these instructions are my representations of Rachael's recipe. I am not quoting her.

Get some salmon filets. In a shallow dish (like a casserole or pie plate, depending on the size of the filet) pour some honey. Then squeeze in the juice of one lime. Sprinkle in some chili powder. Don't you love how Rachael Ray avoids measurements? Mix up these ingredients. Then put the salmon filets in this mixture and make sure they're well coated.

Put a skillet on the stove and pour in about 2 tbsp of olive oil (Rachael loves extra virgin olive oil, or EVOO. I'm not that particular. Olive's olive). Heat up the oil to medium high and then put the filets in the skillet. Cook the filets about 4-5 minutes on each side, longer if you have big, thick filets. Serve with warm spinach and corn salad.

To Make the Spinach and Corn Salad
Make this salad while the salmon is cooking. I have modified this part of the recipe a bit. The biggest difference is that I use Vidalia onion instead of the red onion Rachael Ray calls for. I have two reasons for that. First, because I live only 90 minutes away from the onion capital of the world, I feel almost obligated to use Vidalias whenever possible. I also like to support local economies. Second, my husband hates red onions.

I also use chicken boullion instead of chicken stock just because it's a lot more convenient to keep around. I find it doesn't make a difference in the taste. What's more, I usually forget to squeeze in the lime juice at the end. Nobody misses it. Okay, here's how to make the salad:

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 red pepper chopped
3/4 of a 16 oz pkg frozen kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup chicken boullion
1 can black beans
1 bag (about 6 cups) fresh spinach leaves
a sprinkle or so of red pepper flakes
juice of 1 lime

Put olive oil in a large pot (like a Dutch oven--the spinach takes up a lot of room). Heat to medium high. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add pepper. Cook about two to three minutes. Add corn and chicken broth. Cook until chicken broth boils. Add black beans and cook for a minute or so. Turn off heat. Add spinach leaves. Toss until they wilt. Sprinkle in the pepper flakes. Toss some more. Squeeze in lime juice. Toss one last time.

Along with the salmon and warm spinach and corn salsa, I served yellow squash and garnished with blood orange slices. Blood oranges make everything seem a bit more exotic.

My fifteen year-old said dinner was "okay." Hey, at least he showed up for dinner tonight! My ten year-old said dinner was "All right. It could've been better." I went out on a limb and gave it a rating of pretty darn good. My husband was late getting home tonight. He's eating now. So far, I've heard no complaints.

Oh, speaking of my fifteen year-old, he told me that he ate the leftover calypso chicken for lunch today. He reports that it was better than the teriyaki chicken he had for dinner at the Japanese restaurant last night. Score!

The honey-lime salmon is the last dish I'll make for a few nights. I'll be out of town tomorrow night to deliver my husband and fifteen year-0ld to Hawkinsville for the annual river trip (I'll post photos later). Then Wednesday night is dinner at JoJo's. Thursday night my younger son has a basketball game, so I doubt I'll have time to cook then. That means no more cooking for me until Friday night. That will give me time to browse my list and decide what I'm going to make. Stay tuned.

No comments: