Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kelley Saved the Poppyseed Chicken Casserole

This dish has been around for a long time. I first had it at Bob and Tracy Remler's house before Stephen and I got married. I've made it dozens of time since then, and over the years I've forgotten the recipe Tracy gave me, but my modifications are just as good. The original recipe, if I remember correctly, included chicken, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Ritz crackers. My version includes either cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup (whatever I have in the pantry) and the Publix store version of Keebler Club crackers. While I can't substitute anything for the chicken, the gooey stuff that holds it together just has to be tasty, so I modify that part a lot. Also, my boys recently requested a modification to the cracker part of the casserole. For some reason they object to crumbled up Ritz crackers on top. They prefer Club crackers, and they like them laid on top of the casserole whole, like shingles on a roof. So here's my version of the traditional poppyseed chicken casserole:

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
cooking spray
1 can Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
1 can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 sleeve Publix store brand version of Keebler Club crackers
Poppyseeds

Instructions:
Place chicken breasts in large pot and boil until cooked through. Remove from water, then remove skin and tear meat from bones. Shred chicken meat. Spray 9 x 12 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Place chicken in casserole dish. Add both soups and mix with chicken using wooden spoon. Spread around until the mixture covers the bottom of the casserole dish. Lay crackers on top of chicken mixture. Spray crackers with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with poppyseeds. Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

I serve this casserole with Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice, which I cook in the broth I made while boiling the chicken breasts. I also serve this dish with a green vegetable. Last night, the vegetable was green beans.

Many thanks go to Kelley Remler, who saved last night's dinner by donating poppyseeds. I hadn't realized until I had already added the crackers that I was out. And that is just one of many advantages of living next door to a sister in-law who cooks the same recipes I do.

No comments: