Friday, January 22, 2010

Pot Roast

Here's another great meal for a working mom. Pot roast cooks all day while I'm at the office--or in Hinesville, which is where I went today.

Pot roast enables me to use several of my favorite cooking products:


I keep at least a dozen cans of Campbell's soup in my pantry at all times. I never need that much soup during the week, but when I go to the grocery store, I examine the soup aisle and fail to remember which soups I have at home and which I'm out of. So I buy one can of each staple:
  • Cream of mushroom
  • Cream of chicken
  • Cream of celery
  • Consomme'
I also make sure I'm never without a box of Lipton's beefy onion dried soup mix. Right now, I have four boxes in the pantry. I don't think anybody ever eats these soups as soups. They just serve to make staple dishes such as green bean casserole and pot roast. And that's fine with me. I don't know where I'd be without Campbell's and Lipton's soup.

Sometimes I experiment with my soups in my pot roast. In the past I've used cream of mushroom with cream of celery. Sometimes I've used cream of mushroom with Lipton's beefy onion soup. Sometimes I combine all three. They're all good. But today, I stuck with cream of mushroom and beefy onion. Here's how I make my pot roast.

Ingredients:
  1. One pot roast
  2. Salt, pepper, & garlic powder to taste
  3. One can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
  4. One packet Lipton's beefy onion soup
Instructions:
Line the slow cooker with Reynold's Slow Cooker Liner. Throw in a pot roast. Really. Throw it. Two points if you get it in the first time. That makes cooking a little more fun. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder (if the pot roast hits the floor, it gets a little more seasoning that way). Add both soups and stir with spoon. Put lid on crock pot and turn on to low. Cook at least six hours at low setting.

I serve my pot roast with whole grain brown wide egg noodles. Tonight I also served green peas. Mm. Mm.


No comments: