Sunday, January 24, 2010

Davis Cooked a Duck!

Animal lovers, look the other way now. You won't like this posting. If you're a hunting and game enthusiast, read on. If you're reading this posting on Facebook, you won't see all the photos, but you can see them on the blog: http://remlerville.blogspot.com.

My older son has become a hunter, and he is especially taken with duck hunting. Twice in the last month he's been hunting with his cousin Ben Remler, and yesterday he came home with a wood duck in his hand and a big smile on his face.

The duck was really pretty. In fact, I thought it was a real shame to have shot it. But I'm not going to get into that argument. Nobody will ever win it. I just appreciate the fact that Davis let me see the duck before he took it outside to clean it. Its feathers were gorgeous.

I didn't watch what happened next. Davis went out to the back yard with a knife, and I suppose a hatchet was also involved. When he came back in, he had a cleaned up duck, which actually looked like an undercooked football.

Davis wanted to grill the duck beer can style, but a duck is too small to fit over a 13 ounce can. Instead, Davis used his dad's chicken grilling stand, which was also a little too big and made the duck look like it was put on display at a shoe store. But it did the trick. Davis seasoned the bird with Big Green Egg seasoning and Miss Alma's barbecue sauce. Then he placed it on the Big Green Egg at 350 degrees for about an hour.

When the duck was done, it looked more like a Wilson football, only smaller and without the laces. We all tasted it. I'd eaten duck before, but that was more than 25 years ago. I knew to expect dark meat, but I hadn't remembered how beefy duck tastes. Stephen said that if he didn't know he was eating duck, he'd have thought he was eating roast beef. Because of the beefiness, I think the bird would have tasted better without the Miss Alma's. I don't like barbecue sauce on a steak, so it doesn't really go well with duck either (at least not to me). But Davis and Stephen liked it. Lawson didn't have any comments, but I think he could take it or leave it.

1 comment:

Belle said...

I LOVE duck. Next time, save the legs and do some confit - perfect on a salad of bitter greens....agh. I'm hungry.

I thought you were only doing your football blog! Just found all these new recipes to try! This will be great reading on a horrid weather day (which we are having yet AGAIN).